Current ICMWK post
Recent ICM trials/studies
- Gershengorn HB, et al. Association of Intensive Care Unit Patient-to-Intensivist Ratios With Hospital Mortality. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Mar 1;177(3):388–96.
- Serpa Neto A, et al. Associations between ventilator settings during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for refractory hypoxemia and outcome in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: a pooled individual patient data analysis : Mechanical ventilation during ECMO. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Nov;42(11):1672–84.
- Cortegiani A et al. Associations of Antifungal Treatments With Prevention of Fungal Infection in Critically Ill Patients Without Neutropenia. JAMA. 2017 17;317(3):311–2.
- Keh D et al. Effect of Hydrocortisone on Development of Shock Among Patients With Severe Sepsis: The HYPRESS Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Nov 1;316(17):1775–85.
- Legriel S et al. Hypothermia for Neuroprotection in Convulsive Status Epilepticus. N Engl J Med. 2016 22;375(25):2457–67.
- Scales DC et al. Improving Appropriate Neurologic Prognostication after Cardiac Arrest. A Stepped Wedge Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Nov 1;194(9):1083–91.
- IRONMAN Investigators, Litton E et al. Intravenous iron or placebo for anaemia in intensive care: the IRONMAN multicentre randomized blinded trial : A randomized trial of IV iron in critical illness. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Nov;42(11):1715–22.
- Rygård SL et al. Long-term outcomes in patients with septic shock transfused at a lower versus a higher haemoglobin threshold: the TRISS randomised, multicentre clinical trial. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Nov;42(11):1685–94.
- Arabi YM et al. Permissive Underfeeding or Standard Enteral Feeding in High- and Low-Nutritional-Risk Critically Ill Adults. Post Hoc Analysis of the PermiT Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Mar 1;195(5):652–62.
Recent FOAMcc selection
- 144 critical care hot topics in 144 slides from Steve Mathieu and the PINCER course.
- Intra-abdominal hypertension management is a balancing act; Josh Farkas explains on PulmCrit
- Fluid resuscitation principles neatly laid out on REBELEM.
- Intermediate risk PE – to thrombolyse or not? St.Emlyn’s answer here.
- Update your internal medicine knowledge with the FOAM lectures on the Louisville Lectures site. The latest is on Vasculitis.
- Know your TRALI from you TACO and refresh your paractical transfusion reaction management, courtesy of emDocs.
- Fantastic practical advice about emergency awake intubation from George Kovacs via EMCrit
- How do you use ketamine for opiate-sparing procedural sedation? Review of a useful recent study from PharmERToxGuy.
- Interesting hypothesis-generating study on GTN in acute pulmonary oedema reviewed by CoreEM
- Surviving sepsis campaign guidelines for the management of septic shock 2016
- Guidelines for the withdrawal of life-sustaining measures 2016, from Canada
- Brain trauma foundation updated guidelines 2016
- NICE trauma guidelines 2016. (and Comment from St.Emlyn’s.)
- New difficult airway guidelines from DAS
- New bronchiolitis guidelines from NICE and commentary from PM Geek
- European resus council new guidelines – and a summary of changes.
- Prehospital management of chest injury, consensus statement from RCSEd
- SSC and ISTH guidelines on post-partum haemorrhage coagulopathy
- NICE guidance on rehabilitation after critical illness
- Canadian critical care nutrition guidelines
Other recent ICMWK posts
- Haematological malignancy on the ICU – anti-pessimism and new guidelines
- NOAC reversal in haemorrhage and for urgent procedures.
- Intensivising death in the elderly – 3 recent articles on the elderly patient in ICU examine outcome and, in particular, the implications of frailty.