Sepsis 3: Rise of the SOFA. The new consensus on definitions relating to sepsis. A different slant but any better?
Recent ICM trials/studies
1. Long term quality of life in severe sepsis survivors, assessed by analysis of PROWESS-SHOCK and ACCESS trials.
2. SFELLOW Investigators and the Pragmatic Critical Care Research Group. Randomized Trial of
Apneic Oxygenation during Endotracheal Intubation of the Critically Ill. Am Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Feb 1;193(3):273-80.
3. Outcome of Patients with Interstitial Lung Disease Treated with Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
for Acute Respiratory Failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Mar 1;193(5):527-33
4. Normocaloric versus hypocaloric feeding on the outcomes of ICU patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Mar;42(3):316-23.
5. Effect of Postextubation High-Flow Nasal Cannula vs Conventional Oxygen Therapy on Reintubation in Low-Risk Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
6. Effect of Noninvasive Ventilation on Tracheal Reintubation Among Patients With Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure Following Abdominal Surgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
7. DahLIA Investigators and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. Effect of Dexmedetomidine Added to Standard Care on Ventilator-Free Time in Patients With Agitated Delirium: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
8. van Vught LA et al. MARS Consortium. Incidence, Risk Factors, and Attributable Mortality of Secondary Infections in
the Intensive Care Unit After Admission for Sepsis. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
Recent FOAMcc selection
- ARDS physiology from PulmCCM’s Jon-Emile Kenny – the 3rd easily digestible part, on VILI and cardiovascular issues.
- Sepsis 3.0 by RebelEM.
- Haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis – you don’t need to be able to say it but you do need to know about it. Apparent sepsis + big liver/spleen – consider HLH. Read this now, from Josh Farkas at PulmCrit.
- Succinct summaries from of the CICM ASM 2016 cutting edge talks from the Intensive Care Network.
- Punchy reminder about managing trachy difficulties – ‘patency before puff’ from Chris Nickson at Intensive Blog.
- ICMCaseSummaries on graft versus host disease
- Arm yourself for that question on the pH of normal saline, and then come to an underwhelming real-world conclusion! PulmCCM again.
- Statistical chicanery and blood pressure management in SAH, after ATACH-2, from EM Nerd.
- Tasty morsel bitesize reminder about pneumothoraces from Emergency Medicine Ireland
- Think twice about early RRT in AKI – Bottom Line review of AKIKI
- Cliff Reid’s notes on teaching
- As always, Critical care reviews daily literature finder.
- Please have a look at these sample strategies for sudden hypoxia and sudden hypotension on ICU and let me know what you think.
Other recent ICMWK posts
- Haematological malignancy on the ICU – anti-pessimism and new guidelines
- NOAC reversal in haemorrhage and for urgent procedures.
- Intensivising death in the elderly – 3 recent articles on the elderly patient in ICU examine outcome and, in particular, the implications of frailty.
- NICE trauma guidelines 2016. (and Comment from St.Emlyn’s.)
- New difficult airway guidelines from DAS
- New bronchiolitis guidelines from NICE and commentary from PM Geek
- European resus council new guidelines – and a summary of changes.
- Prehospital management of chest injury, consensus statement from RCSEd
- SSC and ISTH guidelines on post-partum haemorrhage coagulopathy
- NICE guidance on rehabilitation after critical illness
- Canadian critical care nutrition guidelines