Sepsis 3: Rise of the SOFA. The new consensus on definitions relating to sepsis. A different slant but any better?
Recent ICM trials/studies
1. ProCESS and ProGReSS-AKI Investigators. The Effects of Alternative Resuscitation Strategies on Acute Kidney Injury in Patients with Septic Shock. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Feb 1;193(3):281-7.
2. SFELLOW Investigators and the Pragmatic Critical Care Research Group. Randomized Trial of
Apneic Oxygenation during Endotracheal Intubation of the Critically Ill. Am Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Feb 1;193(3):273-80.
3. Outcome of Patients with Interstitial Lung Disease Treated with Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
for Acute Respiratory Failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Mar 1;193(5):527-33
4. Normocaloric versus hypocaloric feeding on the outcomes of ICU patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Mar;42(3):316-23.
5. Effect of Postextubation High-Flow Nasal Cannula vs Conventional Oxygen Therapy on Reintubation in Low-Risk Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
6. Effect of Noninvasive Ventilation on Tracheal Reintubation Among Patients With Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure Following Abdominal Surgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
7. DahLIA Investigators and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. Effect of Dexmedetomidine Added to Standard Care on Ventilator-Free Time in Patients With Agitated Delirium: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
8. van Vught LA et al. MARS Consortium. Incidence, Risk Factors, and Attributable Mortality of Secondary Infections in
the Intensive Care Unit After Admission for Sepsis. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15.
Recent FOAMcc selection
- Please have a look at these sample strategies for sudden hypoxia and sudden hypotension on ICU and let me know what you think.
- Post-extubation high flow nasal oxygen by PulmCrit/EmCrit
- Sepsis 3.0 by RebelEM.
- NICE trauma guidelines 2016. Collars, ratios, TXA, eFAST and all that. Comment from St.Emlyn’s.
- Recruitment and PEEP setting in the obese patient. Great physiology thoughts from PulmCCM.
- BottomLine does DIABOLO. Acetazolamide in COPD: as useless most of us thought.
- ICMCaseSummaries on Intra-aortic balloon pumps.
- EMCRIT on BRASH syndrome. One for the back of the mind!
- IVC fallability in fluid responsiveness assessment from PulmCCM
- St Emlyn’s post on education theory you should know (coinciding with TTCNYC)
- Portsmouth ICUs extensive collection of ICU guidelines, free for all.
- As always, Critical care reviews daily literature finder.
Other recent ICMWK posts
- Haematological malignancy on the ICU – anti-pessimism and new guidelines
- NOAC reversal in haemorrhage and for urgent procedures.
- Intensivising death in the elderly – 3 recent articles on the elderly patient in ICU examine outcome and, in particular, the implications of frailty.
- STOP-IT sooner – managing complicated intra-abdominal infection with an abbreviated antibiotic course.
- PermiT underfeeding – foregoing calories but ensuring protein delivery in the critically ill.
- New difficult airway guidelines from DAS
- New bronchiolitis guidelines from NICE and commentary from PM Geek
- European resus council new guidelines – and a summary of changes.
- Prehospital management of chest injury, consensus statement from RCSEd
- SSC and ISTH guidelines on post-partum haemorrhage coagulopathy
- NICE guidance on rehabilitation after critical illness
- Canadian critical care nutrition guidelines